This is a presentation for folks who are thinking about speaking at OpenSource events, such as Drupal or WordPress Meetups and Camps. During this hands-on session, we’ll look at what has stopped you from speaking in the past — and explore how to move past your fears. We will discuss some common myths about public speaking, different talk formats, and we will focus on writing your pitch.
Each participant will come out of the presentation with a DrupalCamp, WordCamp or meetup talk proposal – and more confidence to submit it.
***You do NOT have to have any experience in public speaking. This presentation is for all levels of experience. This workshop is for you if:
- You’ve thought about speaking at Meetup or Camp but haven't written your pitch
- Or you have pitched to multiple events and haven't gotten accepted
- Or you want to get better at writing your pitches
- Why speak at Open Source events?
- Dispelling some myths about speakers/speaking
- Writing a pitch
- Coming up with a great title
- Writing your bio
- Practice giving a short talk (time allowing)
After completing this lesson, you will:
- Have a better understanding of what makes a successful pitch
- Have the confidence to begin work on your own pitches
- Get optional public speaking practice in a small group to build confidence
- Will understand that there are different types of talk formats