Starting out as a discussion in a lobby at DrupalCon Seattle, the Olivero theme is now an official Drupal core strategic initiative, and aims to become the new default front-end theme for Drupal 9!
How did this happen? What steps (and missteps) were taken along the way? In this presentation, we’ll walk through the genesis of the idea, and discuss the scheming planning needed to start this initiative. More importantly, we will talk about how you can use this knowledge to advocate for your own initiatives to Drupal core.
We’ll start the session with general topics such as:
- Identifying if "your idea" is already in the works.
- Putting together your initial team and starting documentation.
- Identifying key stakeholders that will help advocate and give legitimacy to your idea.
- What is running through core maintainers’ minds when you pitch the idea?
- The formal processes on submitting your idea to the community.
In the second part of the session, we'll discuss Olivero specific topics such as:
- Conception of the theme’s design.
- How did the design get approval, and who approved it?
- Interacting with the community at large.
We intend for this session to equip and empower attendees with confidence to submit changes to Drupal core and provide guidance on how to make sure they have the best opportunity for success when doing so.