Olivero is a core initiative to create a new default theme for Drupal 9. Designing a core theme presents unique challenges as compared to designing traditional websites. This talk will tell the story of what it’s like to design a theme for an open source content management system (CMS) and will answer questions like:
- What is Olivero, and why did we create it?
- What are the challenges of designing for an open source community made up of thousands of stakeholders?
- What compromises were made to make the design accessible?
- What are the challenges of designing for a CMS that will be used for a wide variety of sites?
- What approaches and methods did we use to do this successfully?
Throughout this session, we’ll walk through real-world methods and processes. We’ll discuss each stage, from the first conceptual “zoom mocks” to the various ideas along the way that never saw the light of day!
At the end of this session, you’ll be ready to identify challenges, architect solutions, and validate results when designing a new theme.